Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hog Jog 5k

AM: Hog Jog 5k (spectating)
PM: 40 mins. ellip.
20 mins. pool

I was up before the sun to accompany Jordan to the Hog Jog 5k in Uptown. He was hoping to snag some cash and I was there to stand by for moral support (and to act as sherpa for his many and varied clothing and accessories). I will let him regale you with details of the race--he got 2nd to Thomas Morgan, a Zap guy--because the highlight of the morning was definitely what happened afterward.

The good times b
egan when I walked over to Starbucks for my first pumpkin spice latte of the season while Jordan and Thomas cooled down. I figured that was the least I deserved after getting up two hours early to watch Jordan not win 250 bones. Anyhow, just as I exited the store a homeless man on a nearby bench beckoned me with a request for money. Seeing as I'd just scavenged the post-race food tables, I replied, "I don't have any, but I do have a banana." Expecting him to decline, I was surprised when his eyes lit up as he said, "Great! Those have lots of calcium!" I didn't have the heart to tell him that the banana contained little calcium and even less booze, but nonetheless I felt most beneficent as I handed him the plantain and continued on my way.


You can't make stuff like this up.

The bum situation went from good to great a few minutes later as we stood around waiting for the awards ceremony. A local band had set up on stage and one solitary chap proceeded to dance his little heart out for all to see. I'm not sure if he was on something or perhaps just high on life, but at any rate I have never before seen someone put as much energy into a solo dance effort at 9am. Words don't do it justice...which means it's a good thing that I have photos and video. I sure hope this link works because if so it's guaranteed to make your day just as it did ours. The video was passed on to me by my new friend Andrea, whom I met at the race when I saw her husband taking a video of the aforementioned dancing. My introduction went something like this: "Excuse me, my name is Meagan. If I were to give you my email address is there a chance you could send me this video? It is amazing." Fortunately she was happy to acquiesce and as a result I can now pass it on for your enjoyment.

0 comments: