Sunday, June 2, 2013

Week in Review

75 miles
0 days off
3 doubles
2 workouts
30-minute massage
6x10 mins. core

In a classic case of life imitating...nature, last weekend's stormy, tumultuous, downright depressing weather coincided with the nadir of my mental and physical state regarding my semi-injury. I took the entire weekend off and tried not to focus on my leg (while simultaneously focusing on doing all the right things to ameliorate its condition), hoping that the literal and metaphorical sun would rise on Memorial Day and banish all the negativity.

It didn't happen quite that poetically, but pretty damn close.

This week, I managed to run relatively pain- and discomfort-free every single day, including back-to-back reasonably hard efforts on Wednesday and Thursday evenings (short intervals Wednesday, 5k at the Wicked run Thursday). On Saturday and Sunday I (barely) survived the now-record heat with 80- and 90-minute outings with Jordan, and for the first time in weeks didn't spend every single minute of the run counting down to when I could finally stop. Things aren't perfect, but it's a start.

The best part about living in New England! Marblehead harbor in the background and the ocean in front of me. 

Tomorrow, I embark on the first leg of what will be a month of non-stop work travel. I'll be sleeping in a bed other than my own for 26 days this month, which is sure to make training a bit of a logistical challenge. Fortunately I'll be crashing with my running buddy Jill in Chicago for the next five days, and she's been known to hit the lakefront path well before sunrise to put in the miles before work. With her help, I hope to capitalize on this recent upswing in health and churn out a few solid workouts in preparation for the US Half.

0 comments: