Saturday, March 27, 2010

San Francisco Saturday

AM: 51 mins. (7 miles)
15 mins. core

So you would think after a long day and a late-night race, Tanya and I would've slept in until at least noon today. Unfortunately that's not how it played out. Despite not getting to bed until nearly 1am, we were both begrudgingly wide awake at 6. That's only five hours of sleep, which is probably about five less than I needed. But what can you do? We watched some bad morning television, raided the hotel breakfast immediately after it opened, did some core work and otherwise wasted time until our 9am run with Simmons. We headed back to the bay for an easy out and back, and I was surprised to find that my legs were barely sore (of course the race was only about eight hours ago, so tomorrow might be a different story).


When in Rome...you eat clam chowder out of a bread bowl even though
clams are bottom feeders.

Wanting to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and our last afternoon in Cali, we opted to take a trip into San Francisco for a few hours with Tanya's parents. They'd driven in from the desert to watch her race and offered to pick us up on their way to Fisherman's Wharf. I think everyone else in the area had the same idea as we did because the place was packed, but it was still fun to walk around and enjoy the sights. By the car ride home, however, I could tell the race and lack of sleep was starting to take its toll. My throat developed that tickly, scratchy feeling that usually precipitates the onset of a cold, and I felt steadily worse as the evening wore on. Instead of taking part in our planned 3-mile shakeout, I opted to drink a few glasses of juice and crawl into bed just before 9. Let's hope I feel better tomorrow.


View of the infamous Alcatraz prison from Fisherman's Wharf

0 comments: