Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hill Repeats

AM: 18 min. w/u (2+ miles)
10xhill repeats, recovery on the way down
(1:27, 1:27, 1:27, 1:27, 1:26, 1:27, 1:26, 1:27, 1
:24, 1:23)
15 min. c/d (2 miles)
Total: ~9 miles
PM: 30 minute walk

The first workout of our marathon training cycle consisted of hill repeats. Specifically, 10x1:00-1:30 with recovery on the way down. I had a hill in mind but wasn't sure if it would be the correct le
ngth, but luckily I found it to be just about perfect. I warmed up from my house up Briarcliff and onto the Freedom Trail that runs parallel to Ponce. I ran down the path toward Fernbank, jogged a few minutes up Clifton just to see what the traffic was like on a weekday morning (not too bad, surprisingly), then jogged down to the end of the trail at the bottom of the hill. I found out after my first interval that it took almost exactly 90 seconds to run to the top of the hill (where the bike path intersects with Clifton) and about 1:55-2:00 to run back down. I tried to keep my breathing controlled and my stride relaxed through each interval, and really pushed on the last two to see what I could do. Jogged home nice and easy on the trail to Highland, then ran down St. Charles back to Briarcliff and home.


Produce stand I pass every day on my run. Words to live by.

I entertained the idea of an evening double, but thunderstorms thwarted that plan. As I'm writing this, I plan to enjoy some cereal for dinner (which will cap off a successful day 2 of my new life) and then take a walk if the rain abates.

0 comments: